Turning a dud into a wearable dress

Standard

20111015-124343.jpg
(this photo taken from the Sewing Kit app I use)

I was inspired to make a version of Simplicity 3503 after seeing this great version by Eugenia. She’s made a number of dresses from this pattern.

So I decided on also trying the same combo with just the collar in a contrast fabric.

But for me, this was a wadder. Not the pattern’s fault. Mine!

I chose a size that was clearly too big. (I’m useless at muslins!) I do think this runs a little big anyway.

I should have done a FBA (bust adjustment).

The mid band needs to be made smaller for me and I didn’t interline it!

Rescue operation (done whilst consoling myself over Wales’ loss in the rugby)

So. It was a baggy sack when I finished. No photos at that stage I’m afraid. I’ve now taken it in loads on both sides. It’s ok. Not my best work, but wearable.
20111015-123038.jpg

Just a quick add. I love the Sewing Kit app on my iPhone. You type in the pattern number (big companies) and it will automatically find you the pattern envelope photo. Great for planning projects, and when out buying fabrics to check yardage.
The Simplicity 3503 will now be marked ‘completed’!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s